Thursday, December 3, 2009

Getting paid

Research the different ways that people can pay you.

Google Checkout has been around for over a year now. I used Google Checkout as my main online payment processor in 2007, because when they were working it all out, they did not charge any fees.

However, as of February 2008, they are charging fees, but the fees are less than what PayPal charges. I have received great feedback from my clients, who have told me that they found using it a breeze.

PayPal
PayPal is probably the most well-known payment processor on the Internet. Even so, some clients may dislike PayPal. Another good reason to have other ways clients may pay you. Like Google Checkout, PayPal takes a percentage of the sale.

No matter what online processor you decide to use, do not ask your customers to pay you the percentage back, this is just a cost of doing business. I put the PayPal fee under "bank fees" when I do my taxes.

Both GoogleCheckout and PayPal allow you to invoice clients.

Credit Card Processors
I have used some online Credit Card Processing Companies - they often charge as much as $35 per month, with percentage of sale fees on top of that. I don't think it's worth paying those premium prices, especially when you are just starting out. You would have to pay that high base fee even if you had absolutely no art commissions that month! That's just way too high, in my opinion.

Cash
Mmmm. Cash. I love America!
Can't beat it for local sales. No fees and ready to use right away. Nuff said.

Checks & Money Orders
I accept them, but if they make you nervous, don't take them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will require approval. Please do not post links or your comment will not be approved.