Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Help me help you

I get asked for help often. Not that I know everything of course, but I love to help when I can, but people have to take first steps to help themselves. Of course, asking for help - as this person did, is a good and brave step for many people.


But when you do aks for help, good lord - don't make the person have to do Internet research in order to try to help you! How are clients going to find you too?!? In this case, I couldn't help but just be blunt. There was more I could say, but I decided to just start with basics.

Hello. I am an Artist. I do Oil painting and pancil drawing. I am talented and productive, but I have a lock of knowlege how to sell my art. May be you have a time and will give some useful idea how to start to sell and be visible for people. I have a profile on my facebook.
Thank you for your time. (Person's Name here)

Dear _________,

Well, first off I can tell you that there are several people with your name on Facebook. [Note to reader: I looked and there are 5-6 with this persons' name.]

Not everyone has a Facebook account or wants one, so you need to get your art where it's accessible.

You need to share your link when you contact people, and not make people have to work to find you, because they are not going to work to find you.

Do you need to know some places where you can post your art for free? http://artwanted.com is a nice one, and there are others.

Hope this helps,
Darla

2 comments:

  1. lol i hate when people are like "I am one facebook" when they could just as easy give you a link.

    I think most people dont do it because facebook links arnt "pretty", they are a jumbled mess AND most people don't know that once you have been on FB a while they let you make a nicer version of your link

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, it's a learning process, but that's kind of the point. If you don't know how, you've gotta learn how or ask somebody how to do it.

    Also, there have been times that I've been looking for another artist (even ones I KNOW their name) and I've had a bugger of a time finding them on the Internet! If I can't find him/her, knowing his/her NAME, then how are customers finding them?!? I just don't want to hear whining and complaining about lack of business from them lol.

    ReplyDelete

All comments will require approval. Please do not post links or your comment will not be approved.