Thursday, December 3, 2009

Pencil portrait payment arrangements

I ask for half to start work, the final half after I have sent a preview by email and they have approved it.

Note that I do not word it as "50% up front." I feel that the words "up front" have a negative connotation connected to them, as if I do not trust the client. Of course, I do trust the client and I would not want to send a negative message. So I say half to 'start work,' which has the almost subliminal message of 'I don't work until I get some payment' without actually coming right out and saying it! Also, "50%" sounds like a discount and seems to cheapen the message.

Some artists ask for 33% at the start, with 66% at the end (basically that's one third up front.) This seems to be a very fair arrangement, but it's more difficult to do mathematically! So do what you think is best for you and for your customers.

Many artists consider 20% of the percentage they receive to start work as a non-refundable deposit. This is a way of protecting your time invested. It does make sense, when you evaluate setting aside time to work on the customer's project, and you may have already started work on a portrait when the person wants to back out. I have 20% non refundable listed on my price list, but I generally wouldn't charge it unless a person had caused me some income loss because of backing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will require approval. Please do not post links or your comment will not be approved.