Thursday, December 3, 2009

What to charge for a pencil portrait

What to charge for pencil portraits?

I don't mean to tell you what to charge your customers, but I do think in general that artists underestimate the value of their art. I think this is because many of us just have natural talent, so we take it for granted. But it's taken you a lot of work and time (although you may not think of it as work because you love it so much)

Pencil portrait prices can vary by where you live, but here are some general prices:

  • Wanting to build a portfolio: $25 and permission to use artwork on any and all materials
  • Just starting out and have a few portfolio pieces: $75-$125
  • Artists with a little experience: $125-$250
  • Published Artists: $250-$450 or more per artwork, depending on project.


    People equate price with quality. This is a perception that we know is not true in all cases. However, I have had more customers since I found more confidence to increase my fees. You can place a notice on your pencil portraits pricing page that "all prices are subject to change without notice."

    You may elect to set your prices as the highest level that you feel comfortable with - and that you feel you could justify if necessary.

    As your skills increase, raise your prices. If you become so busy that you are having trouble keeping up with your portrait commissions, this is a sign that it's time to raise your prices.

    The higher your prices are, you may find that the level of respect you receive as an artist also increases. It's like the adage - if you don't respect yourself, no one else will either!
  • 2 comments:

    1. I have issues raising my prices. I have managed to take the leap from 25 to 60 since my skill has increased. And I am thinking about raising it again. ts just scary because I barely get any portrait business now, so I am afraid that I will get even less once I go on to 100$

      ReplyDelete
    2. You might find you get MORE business when your prices are higher. People equate value with price, and your art is good. If you're hardly getting any commissions, then what do you have to lose by raising your prices?

      ReplyDelete

    All comments will require approval. Please do not post links or your comment will not be approved.