Thursday, December 30, 2010

Some artwork questions

Hi Darla, I absolutely love your artwork, and learned so much from reading your blogs.

I had a question, on your drawings with the dark backgrounds, what do you use to get the dark background and not have it smear all over your picture while you are drawing it in?

I use a sheet of paper, usually a sheet of typing/computer paper - I avoid paper with anything printed on it, in case the print or design rubs off. I do the background last. Some artists work mainly left to right if they are right handed, that helps too. But I generally draw the subject then I do the background. That's just my preference.

To keep white areas you want to stay white, you can use a product called liquid masque. You'll find it in art stores or art supply catalogs - It's not very common to find in a store. I've never used it but have always wanted to try it!

and if you just use regular pencil, how do you get it soooo smooth looking? with no pencil lines? It looks amazing.

Try sharpening your pencil really long, and then shade with the side of the pencil, instead of the point. Try the Tombow Mono Homograph pencils, if you haven't tried them. I love them. Then smooth it with chamois.

also when you sell your drawings, what is the average size of the paper you use, is it like 8 x 10 size or larger generally?

I prefer 11x14 paper and I generally make the image area about 8x10. It's a pretty good size but allows enough paper for the framer to work with. I like a bit of edge around the artwork myself!

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. :D

You're welcome, check out http://www.squidoo.com/pencildrawingsupplies and http://squidoo.com/pencilportraitmoduleslist for more info!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will require approval. Please do not post links or your comment will not be approved.