Sunday, April 3, 2011

Your website makes me want to hurl.

Pardon me, but it's time to be blunt.

I have been looking at a few artist's websites today, and I've been disappointed by what I've seen. It's not that the art on the websites was bad...their art is good.

It's that the artists are talented, I know they're talented, because I've either seen their art in person or browsed their portfolio -- but their websites don't reflect that. Their websites are full of gaudy colors, show artwork unfinished, have links that don't work, play obnoxious music in a repetitive, nerve-wracking loop.

What I see is talented artists trying to do their own websites. I created my own website, but I started it back when I didn't have much artwork to do. It's fine to fiddle around and learn to make a website when there's no business -- but, if you have art clients, you should be doing art, not struggling to create a website. Pay or barter a deal with someone who can set up your website. Let them do what they're good at doing, so you can do what you're good at doing.

It almost makes me sick to my stomach when the website doesn't reflect the artist's skills well. One artist in particular is probably the most talented artist I've ever met, and her website had me groaning, "Why? Whyyyyy?" It's very painful to see such poor representation on the web.

If your website doesn't represent you well, then it might be more appropriate to have have an Etsy shop or a free page on Fine Art America or Art Wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will require approval. Please do not post links or your comment will not be approved.